Friday, January 30, 2015

T E L E V I S I O N / Suspects 303 - 304 Review


“Mr. Forrester, some days are good days.”

Just as quickly as it came, Suspects series 3 is now gone and done. It was fleeting and I'm sad that each series is so short, but what can you do? So, here are my thoughts on the final two episodes. 

While episode 3 was good, there wasn't anything big or unique or different in the world of procedurals and I suppose that's fine. Episode 4 and the way it introduced not only one but two transgender characters and appropriately navigated in using the correct pronouns for the boys was amazing. I think I appreciated episode 4 the most in the series in its message of the realities of transphobia and violence against transgender people. A common theme that connected these final 2 episodes is the idea of the protective mother who hide or flee with their children aka the ones who committed the crimes. It's a nice and sentimental touch, I think, in order to prolong the suspense. 

Series 3 wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It felt like Suspects just fell into its footing it found in series 1, but didn't follow through with the fantastic building we saw in series 2. While self-contained episodes are great, I think I prefer the two episode arcs simply because we get more insight. I was also hoping that since series 2 featured Jack's background pretty heavily in this world, I was really hoping to get more of Charlie, but alas we did not and I think that's a real loss. Maybe, series 4 will give Charlie Steele her much deserved background and screen time. While I love me some Jack, I also love Charlie and she's just as critical to breaking cases as Jack and Martha. She deserves her limelight, goddamnit. C'mon Suspects writers, I'm begging on my knees here! 


Ratings: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment