Sunday, January 18, 2015

T E L E V I S I O N / Suspects 301 - 302 Review


“I’d press that panic button now if I were you.”

I'm so glad Suspects is back and that I'm watching it before the entire series is over! Granted, I missed the first two episodes on the day it originally aired, it probably wouldn't have made much difference since I'm in geographically restricted from watching this show. But, two--now three--series in and that has yet stopped me from this! 

A noticeable difference from this series right off the bat compared to last series is that the writers have decided to have each episode be self-contained again (a hark back to series 1). I'm not sure I'm fond of it to be quite honest. With series 2 having the plot arc span over two episodes instead of fitting into just one allowed the characters--specifically the suspects themselves--to be fleshed out as the interrogation progresses. Whereas having a self-contained story per episode may give the story a more adrenaline and suspenseful narration (and it did keep me on edge the whole time), I prefer character driven rather than plot driven scenarios, you get me?  

Episode one featured a serial psychopathic college teacher while episode two featured a convoluted missing persons' arc. While both were very suspenseful and shocking in their revelation, I obviously have some qualms. One, after last series and Jack's forced vacation from the force, he seems so happy and cheery and unaffected by the past in this series. Like they make references to it once or twice in the beginning and end, but that's it. There's no side eye wariness. There's no true consequence outside of what happened in series 2 and it feels...strange. Two, there's no build up to the suspect--this issue is presented differently in the episodes. In the first, Rory (the teacher) transitions from reasonable frightened and aggressive teacher who wants to keep his student affair hush to this sudden serial psychopathic killer with a trauma. The second half felt so unnecessary. It would have been fine, honestly, to leave it with just a teacher trying to keep his secret hush hush. In episode 2, the build up to Mike, the father, being the culprit was totally out of left field and after it was revealed, it was never fleshed out. Are we supposed to believe that the kidnap was because he lusted after his 8 year old daughter? The entire situation felt very...unresolved and I suppose, that was how the episode was meant to be considering he committed suicide before his arrest. 

I hope this third series works out its kinks. It was doing so wonderfully in the second series too! I hope Charlie takes the center stage this time around and it seems like that's where it's headed considering the amount of screen time she's getting and the focus on her reactions and emotions and her abilities as a detective. 


Ratings: ★★★☆☆


S U S P E C T S | Tuesdays, 10PM → Channel 5

No comments:

Post a Comment