Sunday, March 16, 2014

T E L E V I S I O N / Mr. Selfridge 209


"There is nothing in the world I want more than to smash your smug little face into the middle of next week."

This episode was bloody amazing, with the exception of Victor, Mr. Grove and Loxely. They put the worst damper on everyone’s cheerful moods. But let’s start off with the man who has been perfect so far, Florin DuPont. The scene opens with Mardle and Florin, naked but covered by white sheets in bed together. I nearly fell out of my seat; I probably would have if I didn’t grab my desk for steady support. Who knew a kiss could escalate so quickly? But, I’m glad it did. You see Mardle filled with joy and happiness again, for a moment, she’s a young girl. And Florin, he’s still such a boy driven by this passion and love for this incredible woman, moved to kiss her in public though it may seem indecent. He has to, because he can’t contain it. Love is so beautiful, isn’t it?

Too bad Grove had to be filled with jealousy and reprimand Mardle about her relationship with Florin. It angers me to know end that this man who abandoned her for a younger woman and married her instead of Mardle who gave away the prime of her life for him still feels that he has the authority to tell her who she can and cannot see. It breaks my heart also to see the effect Grove’s opinions still has on her because no matter what, she did love him and I believe that she always sort of will simply because of the lack of closure she got from the end of the relationship. And at that point in the elevator, you see her compare her age to Florin’s again and believing that she’s clutching at her youth through him and that she’s probably draining him. He’ll probably love another, someone his age and more beautiful. And it breaks my heart that this insecurity is rooted in Grove and not likely to be done away with so easily. Mardle, baby, stay strong!

Speaking of strong women, Agnes was recognized for her strength and talent as a window designer. I’m honestly proud that Henri believed that she was the best for Winifred’s article. My heart warmed when Winifred praised Agnes’ talents too because she’s quite insecure about her work in comparison to Henri’s, and I think having female recognition is important because that is, after all, the demographic these displays are supposed to appeal to. Similarly, her strength when she anxiously waited for George. I screeched with her when he showed up at the door. The relief, the joy, the happiness, everything encompassed in that brief moment. Her chasing down that soldier in the store showed just how important George is. So, I’m glad he’s not killed off after all because God, that scene was painful. Never again, writers. Never again.

This episode also gave us the weekly dose of the how-badly-do-you-want-to-kill-Loxley scene. I’m glad that Rose and Harry welcomed Mae into their home. I found it pivotal that Mae shared with Harry the hint about her abusive relationship with Loxely. She’s an incredibly private person, and one that tries not to show any sort of vulnerability. So, by sharing this fact, it reveals how far their relationship has grown, how much trust Mae has in Harry, and how good Harry as a person is. And when Loxley showed up at Harry’s home and Harry threatening to punch the little man, I applauded so much. FOUR FOR YOU, HARRY. YOU GO, HARRY. This friendship has grown so organically from the once skeevy business pact they made in series 1, that I absolutely hope it never goes away, especially when Mae has Harry’s back in all matters, especially with that pest, Delphine. So happy that the ~*~spirit of Delphine’s~*~ is finally out the door. Don’t need that woman anymore, trying to weasel her way between Rose and Harry’s marriage.

The arc about Rose though is going to kill me softly, I can feel it. I wish I could step through the realm of television and hug her because she’s so afraid and has yet to tell Harry. I wonder if she will. Knowing Rose, she probably won’t just so he doesn’t worry about her. I’m honestly scared, I don’t want anything bad happening to her, but I have a feeling something will especially with how worried she is and the narrow scope of medicine and technology back then to help.

This episode is basically me worrying about all my lady loves. I hope the finale will bring them all the greatest happiness because I can’t handle them being sad.



Ratings: ★★★☆☆ (wish there was a code to give it a half star. just pretend it says 3 1/2)



M R.  S E L F R I D G E » Sundays, 9 PM → ITV

No comments:

Post a Comment